US, Iran to hold new round of nuclear talks in Geneva this week, Swiss gov. says
Source: ABC News/AP
February 14, 2026, 2:32 PM
GENEVA -- Iran and the United States will hold a second round of talks over Tehrans nuclear program next week, the Swiss Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
Oman, which welcomed the first round of indirect talks on Feb. 6, will host the talks in Geneva, the Swiss ministry said, without specifying which days. After the first discussions, U.S. President Donald Trump warned Tehran that failure to reach an agreement with his administration would be very traumatic.
Similar talks last year broke down in June as Israel launched what became a 12-day war on Iran that included the U.S. bombing Iranian nuclear sites. Trump has repeatedly threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to constrain its nuclear program.
Iran has said it would respond with an attack of its own. Trump also has threatened Iran over its deadly crackdown on recent nationwide protests there. Gulf Arab nations have warned any attack could spiral into another regional conflict.
Read more: https://abcnews.com/International/wireStory/us-iran-hold-new-round-nuclear-talks-geneva-130176100
thesquanderer
(12,928 posts)SouthBayDem
(33,211 posts)US officials have repeatedly emphasised that Iran, not the US, is holding up progress in this protracted negotiating process.
On Saturday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said President Donald Trump preferred a deal but it was "very hard to do" one with Iran.
But in an interview with the BBC in Tehran, Majid Takht-Ravanchi, Iran's deputy foreign minister, said the ball was "in America's court to prove that they want to do a deal", adding: "If they are sincere, I'm sure we will be on the road to an agreement."
Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/clyz4y3zwz5o