https://www.planetary.org/articles/82-nasa-missions-at-risk-under-new-proposal
84 NASA missions at risk under new proposal
Written by Asa Stahl, PhD
Science Editor, The Planetary Society
April 13, 2026
Only days after NASA launched astronauts to the Moon for the first time in decades, the White Houses budgeting office
announced a plan to reduce NASAs workforce by thousands and cancel over 50 NASA missions. If enacted, the proposal would slash the agencys science program by a devastating 46% and turn off spacecraft already paid for, launched, and making discoveries. Instead of celebrating
Artemis IIs historic accomplishment, this proposal dismantles NASA as the agency works to bring its crew back home.
The White House Office of Management and Budget proposed similar budget cuts last year, and The Planetary Society helped people around the world raise their voices in support of NASA science. Just a few months ago, Congress
rejected the budget cuts and funded NASA in full.
Now the threat has returned, and we are again organizing the
Save NASA Science campaign to show our elected officials that space science and exploration matter.
The first step is knowing whats at stake. Here are some of the many missions slated for cancellation, and the mysteries that would go unsolved if we turned our backs on them.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2026/apr/11/artemis-ii-nasa-budget-cuts
Jubilant return of Artemis II shadowed by extinction-level cuts to Nasa: Its discordant
Even as a triumphant moon flyby primes agency for a 2028 landing, Trumps proposed budget cuts cast pall on US space program
Richard Luscombe
Sat 11 Apr 2026 08.33 EDT
Even as Integrity, the mission moniker for the Orion capsule of Artemis II, ascended into the heavens days ago, Donald Trump was announcing his intention to slash Nasas budget by 23%, including a 46% cut for space science initiatives. And the Artemis program that has run years behind schedule and billions of dollars over budget offers no guarantees that the next, far harder stages will run as smoothly.
Isaacman said
he supported the White House desire to
strip a further $6bn in funding from his agency, insisting that the levels are sufficient to meet high expectations and deliver on all mission priorities.
But Casey Dreier, chief of space policy at the Planetary Society, said Isaacmans argument made no sense.
The administrator is part of the administration, and the budget document is an official policy statement of the administration, so he has to be onboard, he said.